Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Servant Leadership

I am enjoying the break this week as we reflect on all of the things we have been blessed with and give thanks to the One who has blessed us. 

I have so much for which to be grateful. Near the top of the list is the opportunity to follow my calling and be a counselor at Christie.

Just before coming to Christie I was in an administrative role at a preschool and learned a lot there. It was my first job as the person in charge, and I was nervous about whether or not I had the ability to lead. My dad told me that if I'm a servant leader, people will follow.

Servant leadership.  Always be part of the team.  Be willing to sweat. To work.  To roll up your sleeves and help.

At the preschool, I picked up trash, cleaned up vomit, and changed diapers.  Never "too good" to do what needed to be done.

My dad has his Master's in Business Administration.  He has been the CEO of several hospitals, most recently Medical Center of Plano until his retirement several years ago.  I've seen the weight of responsibility that comes with running a large business.  I watched him cheer on the employees in the trenches while he shouldered complaints and pressure to improve stats and meet unrealistic budget expectations.  There's a lot of pressure on you when you're at the top.

But every holiday season-- either on Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve-- my dad would serve all of the night shift staff Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

One year I tagged along.  It was 11:00 PM, and he would serve them, calling them by name.  I remember the look of appreciation on their faces that the man in charge- the one they rarely saw because they worked the night shift- would take time away from his family and his sleep on a holiday to feed them, hug them, and thank them.

That's leadership. 

It's relational.

It's sacrificial.

And this Thanksgiving, I'm reminded how grateful I am to have grown up around a great leader, to have learned firsthand how hard it is to be one, and to now work for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment