Sunday, April 30, 2017

"I Have Integrity"

Integrity,  It is one of our core values at Christie.

I've been thinking a lot about integrity lately.

Webster defines it as "the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles."

Honesty.

Being truthful takes courage.  Speaking truth with love and pure intent requires restraint.

I've been really tuned in this year to those who spin the truth.  Lies ranging from slight variations (additions and/or omissions that benefit the storyteller) to blatant lies (not even remotely based in fact).

I've also been tuned in to those who speak truth without restraint. Careless words are damaging to culture and relationships.

I had a conversation with a friend recently about the best way to handle a situation.  I wanted to be sure I preserved my credibility as certain facts came to light.  I never want to be seen as dishonest or someone who can't be trusted.  As we talked through our options, we came back to this-- let's let our narrative simply be the truth.  And we were both relieved.

Truth doesn't require us to remember a story.  Truth doesn't require practice.

We have to model integrity for our kids.  We need to be adults who choose honesty with a filter that restrains our biting tongues.

Because---

Being truthful takes courage.  Speaking truth with love and pure intent requires restraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment