Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Mistakes Happen-- and that's OK

This week and next, in First Grade, we're talking about mistakes.  Everyone makes them, and we can fix them.  Sometimes we can't fix them all by ourselves and need to get some help.  But no mistake is beyond help.

I went to Ms. Albracht's and Ms. Stanford's classes this morning and read Beautiful Oops by Barney Saltzberg.  It's a really fun story about turning mistakes into something amazing!



Then I showed the students this "very important" (albeit out-of-date) paperwork from my daughter's school---

I explained that I accidentally spilled my coffee all over the papers.



We talked about the lesson I learned from my mistake: Don't drink coffee near important papers.

And we talked about my reaction to my mistake:  I didn't throw the paper down and stomp away.  I didn't cry or call myself "the worst mom EVER" just because I made a mistake.

In fact, I decided I would use it as a learning opportunity for the kids.

I outlined the stain in marker so that it would show up if I made copies, and I made 125 copies of my mistake.  My spill.


I challenged the kids to turn my mistake into something amazing.  And-- WOW-- am I impressed!!



Kids made people and jellyfish.  Magic wands and asteroids. Birds, parking meters, robots, and Sonic the Hedgehog. Fossils and bones.  An island under attack. There was no limit to their imagination!!

I thanked them so much for helping me turn my mistake into a "beautiful oops".  Now I can't wait to hang them on the bulletin board in the hallway!!


1 comment:

  1. I love that you creatively worked this topic into art. Great!

    ReplyDelete