Saturday, September 3, 2016

The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers

I was recently given a gift.  A book that had been passed to me, along with the responsibility to read it and pass it on.

It's called The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers.  Yes.  THAT Mr. Rogers.  Everyone's favorite neighbor.

It's one of the most touching books I've read in a while.

The premise is simple:  How Fred Rogers made connections with children and adults alike... through a television set.

One key to making connections was routine.  He sang the same song for decades. Changed his clothes every time.  Kept the curtains in his house the same.  The same old telephone.  His neighborhood of make-believe.  He believed that there's safety in routine.  When children know what to expect, they feel secure.

Changing into a cardigan and sneakers was a deliberate decision.  It was slowing down, stripping himself of the fast-paced business coat and dress shoes.  His soft, slow cadence when he spoke and the simple songs he sang were calming.  Making a point to feed the fish every day was not only part of his routine but relaxing.

Perhaps one of the sweetest things about him was his tolerance and acceptance of everyone.  He loved children.  And he ended every show saying, "You've made this day a special day.  And you know how-- by just your being you."  How powerful is that?!  Isn't that what everyone wants to hear?  That we're enough as we are.  And he was teaching kids that every day.

A quote of his in the book:
"I don't think of myself as somebody who's famous.  I'm just a neighbor who comes and visits children; I happen to be on television. But I've always been myself. I never took a course in acting.  I just figured that the best gift you could offer anybody is your honest self, and that's what I've done for lots of years. And thanks for accepting me exactly as I am."

I love his outlook.  I love how he loved others well.  I love how he showed his faith without ever preaching.  He prioritized children and made connections with them in a way I completely believe in.  He wanted children to feel safe and loved.  He wasn't a showman.  He wasn't self-serving.  He was giving and poured into everyone around him.  I think someday, when I get to Heaven, he'll be one of the first people I'll want to sit and chat with for a really long time. :)

I'm so grateful to be called to work with kids.  I'm so humbled by the responsibility that comes with being a counselor.
So what have I learned from Mr. Rogers?
Slow down.
Kids love routine.
And I am learning that the only person I know how to be is me.

I can't counsel the way someone else does.  I don't have the same style when I'm presenting or leading a meeting as other people do. I have my own style when talking to teachers, parents, or kids. And I think Mr. Rogers would approve. :)  He'd say, "Julie, you make each day a special day by just your being you."  :) And I sincerely hope I make others feel that way too.

When it's all said and done, I'd love for his quote to be my own... "I just figured that the best gift you could offer anybody is your honest self, and that's what I've done for lots of years. And thanks for accepting me exactly as I am."


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder to be ourselves just the way we are. There is no one person made exactly the same... Kids need to hear and feel that!

    ReplyDelete