Wednesday, September 9, 2015

"Get to Know Your Counselor"

What a great few weeks at Christie!! 

I've loved being in the classrooms and meeting kids the past couple of weeks!

In guidance, I've been bringing my backpack full of clues.  The kids have had to be detectives and make predictions about what my clues mean.

My first set of clues were "All About Me":



A dog, a spatula, an Amazing Jake's Fun Card, and my running shoes.

The kids figured out that I have a dog, have kids, love to bake, and (because I love to bake) run a lot.  
It turns out we have a lot in common. 
A lot of the kids have pets, play sports, love to bake or eat cookies :), and love to play games.  Imagine that! I'm making friends already! :)

Then I had clues about my job.  "What Does a Counselor Do?":


Ears, glasses, a clown nose, and a giant hand.

(Mrs. Massey took a pic of me dressed in all of my "What Does a Counselor Do?" glory.  I'm so glad. ;)  Rumor has it, she might put it on her blog.  But even if she doesn't, you should still check it out... especially if your child is one of Massey's Marvelous Minds.)

So what do these clues mean?

Ears:  I'm here to listen.  I talked with the kids about the difference between hearing and listening.  There IS a difference, ya know?!

Glasses:  I help kids see things more clearly.  Sometimes something that's bothering us can seem so big that we can't see an answer to a problem.  I'm here to help kids find a solution.

Nose:  I talked to the kids about what it means to be nosy.  Then I told them that part of my job is to ask questions, but I assured them that, if I had to be a little bit nosy, it would only be to keep them safe or help solve a problem.

Hand:  We discussed the idiom "give me a hand". I told the kids I'm here to help.  I help teachers.  I help kids. I help Mr. Steele and Ms. Kelly.  I'm here to do whatever I can to make Christie the best it can be.


Your kids were such great listeners!! They participated.  They were respectful and kind. They laughed and had fun!

I'm convinced Christie Cubs are some of the greatest kids around! 


2 comments:

  1. Loved this lesson! Can't wait to cook and bake together. Of course on our off day we could go to Amazing Jake's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this lesson! Can't wait to cook and bake together. Of course on our off day we could go to Amazing Jake's!

    ReplyDelete