Saturday, September 12, 2015

Watch DOGS

Thursday night Christie kicked off this year's Watch DOGS program.  It's an initiative to get more men involved in schools and working with children.

Strong, positive male role models are essential for children!!

In the book "Wild at Heart" by John Eldridge, he discusses the role of masculinity in a child's life.  Disclaimer: It is a Christian perspective and may not be for everyone.  But when I read the book, one of the concepts that stuck out to me is that, as a woman, I can evoke masculinity in my son.  But I can't bestow masculinity because I'm not a man. 

Before we get too derailed by the argument that women can do anything a man can do, let me say that-- as a woman who is Chief Operating Officer of my house and holds a higher degree than my husband-- I am NOT putting down women. But I firmly believe that men and women were designed to work in sync with each other to influence children.

I am not passing any kind of judgment on households without men in them!  Not. At. All. I'm simply speaking to the viewpoint that more men need to step up and see the importance of their roles in kids' lives.

I have seen firsthand the gravity of a male presence.  When I tell my 10 year old daughter that she looks pretty, she feels that she's gotten approval on her outfit from me.  When my husband says it, she feels doted on and loved.  I've worked for men and women, and whether it's right or wrong, I've witnessed the words of a man hit a child's ear differently than when women say the same thing. I can't explain it, but the difference definitely exists.

Again, I'm NOT intending to set up an "Us vs Them" argument.  I'm advocating for a "WE" mentality.  More men need to step up, and women need to encourage that! Kids need everyone pouring into their lives and encouraging them!

Dads, Uncles, Grandfathers-- You can still sign up to participate in Watch DOGS! Contact our parent liaison, Matty Rodriguez: matty.rodriguez@pisd.edu

Get involved!  Make a difference!  You'll be hooked on the rewarding feeling that you get when you give back!

No comments:

Post a Comment